New Energy Source

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Energy Source

Post  ZyloWalsh on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:12 pm

I have been working on the new energy source for the station.  I'll summarize the mechanical process of the system then what engineers have to do to set it up.  

The idea is based off a nuclear reactor that should work within the limited simulation of the game.  It starts with uranium being inserted into a reactor that has its control rods fully down.  When the control rods are pulled up, the reactor will start to heat the toxin coolant (I hope you can already see the fun of messing this up) and use up the uranium (it will use it really slowly tho). The amount of heat is determined by the amount of uranium in the reactor.  I will make it manageable though.  So below 10 units is no heat and 10 thro 20 is low heat, etc.  The maximum amount allowed in the reactor will be 50.  This coolant is then transported via pipes to some turbines/generator which will generate power based on the temperature and pressure of the coolant.  (Technically, you could use any gas but toxin is prob. the only one with the heat capacity to handle it.)  An array of freezers will also be connected to coolant pipes to prevent the reactor from overheating.  Here is the fun part. The reactor will overheat if the coolant is too hot for too long and the reactor will explode.  I was thinking of having a large "light" explosion that will blow out windows but not expose the room to space (unless the room has windows to space.  Which is shouldn't.).  The reactor doesn't give off radiation like the singo does so it won't need to be behind blast doors.  I will have to test this out though in order to get it right.  If the explosion won't work then I'll just delete the reactor.  When the reactor is destroyed the pipes will release superheated toxin into the air.  It will also require power to work. 

The engineers will have to bolt the reactor and the turbines to the floor (which could be multiple tiles big). They will have to get toxins and pressurize the coolant tubes.  Thirdly, they will have to insert the uranium and pull the control rods up.

Last edited by ZyloWalsh on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZyloWalsh
Level Infinity
Level Infinity

http://speciousstation13.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Re: New Energy Source

Post  ZyloWalsh on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:48 pm

I was thinking... when it overheats and explodes it could leave a molten core item that gives off radiation like the singo.  So there is still a reason to keep all the rad suits.
ZyloWalsh
Level Infinity
Level Infinity

http://speciousstation13.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Count_Swagula on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:46 pm

I like it

Count_Swagula
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerCultLeader on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Testing it was pretty fun.
GingerCultLeader
Level 4
Level 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgt.Larry on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Yes i also love the idea.
Sgt.Larry
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post  OMGcarrot on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:30 pm

So where does this leave the traitors who ordered a singulo beacon?

OMGcarrot
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerCultLeader on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Might eventually get around to removing that item.
GingerCultLeader
Level 4
Level 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Count_Swagula on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:15 pm

late response but the singlo beacon could perhaps be replaced with something a bit more mischievous and direct, such as a "control rod override" that locks control rods fully down perhaps hehehe

Count_Swagula
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum